Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A guitar question; How short do I have to keep the nails on my fretting hand?

I clip my nails as far as I can without drawing blood. But they're still at the tip of my finger. This makes it extremely difficult to play chords. Either because I can't press a string down without my nail hitting the fret board, or because I end up muting the next string over.





I just started playing guitar a week ago, so I know that nothing is supposed to come easy at first. But this seems more like a physical limitation than a learning curve.





Am I just not meant for guitar? I'd be crushed if I ever had to give it up.A guitar question; How short do I have to keep the nails on my fretting hand?
Don't worry at all, everyone has trouble to not mute the next string over when they start. And everyone has this particular problem when they start out playing guitar, that fingers do not rest on strings with the pads but tend toward a ninety degree touching of the fret board.





You just have to stick at it! A week is nothing, and, if you keep it up, then after a few weeks (or maybe longer, I can't remember how long it takes) you'll get there, and it will come naturally.





Just keep on playing what you're playing and ignore it if perhaps it doesn't sound great! Just don't give up! You will get there in the end!A guitar question; How short do I have to keep the nails on my fretting hand?
Yes, you need to keep your nails short, but them touching the fret board shouldn't keep you from making the chord. What is more of a concern is your finger muting the next string. Are your fingers thick/fat and short. If you look at all the Super Guitarists, you will always notice that their fingers are thin and long. This allows them to really get the fancier chord shapes.


So, your nails may not be the problem.


BUT, just keep practicing. It takes months/years to become a great guitarist.
It sounds as if your nails should be short enough. I think this is just a matter of practice and getting the feel of the fretboard. Stick with it, and I think you'll be OK. Good luck.
Well, I play guitar and I have to cute my nails down to the skin, which is probably right where you cut your nails down to. Just keep them as low as you can, and try as hard as you can press the string down. I know, it's very very hard in the beginning. It may help if you lift your wrist so it is in more of an arch shape. It's not the most comfortable position for your arm, but it will probably help your fingers. Also, if you have an acoustic guitar, you do need to press really really hard to get the right sound to come out. Also, try to arch your fingers.





I hope that helps! Good Luck!
Practice your scales. Your fingernails dont have to be ';that'; short to keep from muting or buzzing. Start out with a Major scale first position and run up and down the strings and fretboard. You have got to develop your dexterity. E-mail me and I can get you a pattern for the Major scale 1st position. Along with giving you a little instruction.
nails should be below the finger pad. If you look at your finger tips from the palm side, you should not be able to see any nail showing.
You may need an instrument with a wider neck. Try a classical guitar and if you want electronic amplification, there are adapters that can be installed. Check out your local music store and talk to them. I agree. No one should have to give up music. If he entertains no one else, he can entertain himself which is the first person he should be trying to entertain anyway.
By Holding It!





L.O.L





I.M.P

No comments:

Post a Comment